Thank You To Our Sponsors
Di Mattia
5 Beans
The Proclinic
Browns Pharmacy

The Official Website of Valletta Football Club

Our Next Game

Valletta FC

National Stadium

14 April 2024
at 4:15 pm


Valletta vs F91 Dudelange

Valletta vs F91 Dudelange

Valletta survived a strong second half fight back from F91 Dudelange to hold on to a 1-1 draw that secured their place into the second qualifying round of the Champions League.

It was a lion-hearted performance from the Citizens who had looked the better side for much of the opening half and their efforts were rewarded with a Mario Fontanella striker that looked to have put the Citizens firmly in the driving seat.

But in the second half, the Luxembourg side came to the fore and once they managed to level the match through Mario Pokar they completely took control of proceedings.

In fact it was all Dudelange for the final 30 minutes of the match but the Luxembourg side were denied of a crucial second goal, that would have put them through, by some fine goalkeeping from Henry Bonello and some poor finishing from their forwards as Valletta battled into the next round.

The result was a major achievement for the Citizens who managed to overcome the challenge of a team that may hail from a small country like Luxembourg but last season they had managed to reach the group stages of the Europa League.

Valletta’s reward for their efforts is a second qualifying round tie against either Hungary’s Ferencvaros and Ludogorets, of Bulgaria, who meet in the second leg today.

Valletta coach Darren Abdilla was forced to make two changes to his starting formation as Argentine midfielder Santiago Malano was ruled out with a serious knee injury suffered last week while Rowen Muscat was serving a one-match ban following his dismissal in Luxembourg. In their place, young Nicholas Pulis and Ryan Camilleri were both given the nod to start.

After a rather scrappy start it was Dudelange who created the first chance after 11 minutes when Dominik Stolz sent a teasing cross towards Ricardo Delgado but the towering defender headed just wide.

On 14 minutes, Valletta protested for a penalty when Mario Fontanella seemed to have been sandwiched by two defenders when trying to intercept a cross but referee Juri Frischer waved play on.

Four minutes later, Fontanella sent Enmy Pena Beltre clear on the right but the wing back’s cross was a bit too long for Kyrian Nwoko and the chance went abegging.

The match remained evenly-balanced for long spells with neither side managing to gain the upper hand.

But that all changed ten minutes from the break when Valletta took the lead.

Valletta vs F91 Dudelange

Nwoko moved past his marker and hit a swerving drive that Dudelange goalkeeper Tim Kips could only deviate onto the upright but in came Fontanella who blasted home to send the City fans into delirium.

Fontanella had a glorious chance to double Valletta’s lead six minutes later.

Tulimieri ran across the Dudelange defence before picking up the City striker with a fine pass but Kips was on hand to deny Valletta’s no.89.

In the second half, Dudelange, as expected, tried to step up their tempo but it was Valletta who threatened on 56 minutes but Pena Beltre’s shot sailed wide.

Parity was restored on the brink of the hour mark when Mario Pokar picked up a short rebound and hit a low drive that was deflected past Valletta goalkeeper Henry Bonello to revive Dudelange’s hopes.

Dudelange seemed to spark into life and on 66 minutes Bonello had to be at his best to tip over Mehdi Kirch’s fierce drive.

Abdilla looked to add more cover to his team’s backline when he withdrew a tired Nwoko and roped in Shaun Dimech.

Valletta were looking increasingly on the ropes and 16 minutes from time Bonello again came to his team’s rescue when he needed to stretch his legs to keep out Kirch’s low drive after the Citizens had failed to clear the ball from a set piece.

Valletta vs F91 Dudelange

Thirteen minutes from time substitute Bertino Cabral Barbosa passed to Ricardo Delgado who quickly set up Tom Schnell but his shot scraped past the upright.

Two minutes from time Omar Natami connected to Daniel Sinani’s flag-kick but header over.

The visitors had an even bigger chance in the first minute of stoppage time when Dominik Stolz found himself unmarked inside the area but he incredibly fired wide as Valletta held on to secure a place in the next round of the competition.

Source: times of malta

First qualifying round second leg

Valletta vs F91 Dudelange

VALLETTA – H. Bonello, S. Borg (90 J.C. Gill), R. Camilleri, K. Nwoko (68 S. Dimech), J. Borg, E. Pena Beltre, J. Zerafa, D. Packer, N. Pulis, M. Fontanella, K. Tulimieri (77 A. Monticelli).

F91 DUDELANGE- T. Kips, T. Schnell, M. Pokar, D. Sinani, D. Stolz, R. Delgado, M. Garos, M. Kirch, C. Lavie (75 B. Cabral Barbosa), M. Bouchouari, S. Bougrine (85 O. Natami).

Yellow cards: S. Borg, Sinani, Schnell, Fontanella, Pena Beltre, Monticelli, Natami, Cabral Barbosa, Zerafa.

Scorers: 58′ Borg, 30′ Barisic, 66′ Filipovic.

Referee: Juri Frischer (Estonia).

Date: 16.07.2019

Competition: Champions League

Venue: Centenary Stadium

Valletta vs Ferencvaros

Valletta vs Ferencvaros

A spectacular second-half strike from Tokmac Nguen extinguished Valletta’s dream of reaching the third qualifying round of the Champions League as the Citizens were held by Ferencvaros to a 1-1 draw at the Centenary Stadium with the Hungarians going through 4-2 on aggregate.

After losing the opening leg in Hungary 3-1 last week, it was always going to take something special from Valletta to secure the needed two-goal win over the 30 time Hungarian champions to reach the next round.

Yet, when  Mario Fontanella gave Valletta the lead on 26 minutes from the penalty spot, it looked as though the Malta champions could complete another remarkable feat.

But Ferencvaros gradually stepped up their game as the Hungarians showed all their superiority in terms of fitness and technique in the second half when they managed to regain control of the tie courtesy of Nguen’s piledriver and from then on there was no way back for Valletta.

Now, Ferencvaros will proceed to face either Dinamo Zagreb, of Croatia, or Georgia’s Saburtalo.

On the other hand, Valletta’s European adventure will continue in the Europa League third qualifying round when they will face either Kazakhstan’s Astana or Santa Coloma, of Andorra, with a place in the play-off round of UEFA’s secondary competition at stake.

Valletta coach Darren Abdilla was forced to make do without Brazilian midfielder Douglas Packer who failed to recover from a back injury. In his place, young Shaun Dimech was given the nod to start in the absence of the injured Santiago Malano and the suspended Nicholas Pulis. Ryan Camilleri replaced the suspended Steve Borg who started a three-match ban.

Upfront Yuri Messias, scorer of Valletta’s only goal in Budapest, started up front ahead of Kyrian Nwoko with Matteo Piciollo playing alongside Mario Fontanella.

Valletta vs Ferencvaros

Serhiy Rebrov, the Ferencvaros coach, kept faith with the same players that started the opening leg in Hungary with Italian forward, Davide Lanzafame, scorer of a brace, leading their attack.

Valletta were almost off to a disastrous starts as barely 22 seconds were played that they almost fell behind.

Straight from kick-off the Hungarians charged forward and Olkesandr Zubkov’s low drive was parried away by Henry Bonello into the path of Michal Skvarka who from a close angle could only hit the upright.

Valletta responded two minutes later with Messias avoiding his marker before hitting a thumping drive that was pushed away by Denes Dibusz.

The Citizens were reprieved again on eight minutes when Ihor Karatin picked up a poor pass from the City defence but his thumping drive hit the upright with Bonello beaten.

The hosts threatened on 14 minutes when Enmy Pena Beltre sent a fine pass behind Ferencvaros’ backline and into the path of Fontanella but the Italian forward fired over.

On 25 minutes, Valletta’s hopes of qualification where handed a major boost when they were awarded a penalty. Kevin Tulimieri was upended in the area by Gergo Lovrencsics and from the spot Fontanella kept his cool to drill the ball past the diving Dibusz.

Rebrov was clearly unhappy with his team and on the half hour he withdrew Ihnatenko and roped in David Siger.

The match kept the same pattern with Valletta happy to soak up the pressure of their opponents and trying to hit them on the break with their vertical balls on Fontanella and Piciollo creating a lot of bother to the Fradi.

On the restart, Ferencvaros tried to step up their game with Oleksandr Zubkov hitting a thumping volley that flew over.

As the minutes passed the game offered little in terms of entertainment as Valletta tried to be more effective up front but with scant success.

Instead it was Ferencvaros who had the ball into the net on 57 minutes when Lanzafame turned home Eldar Civic’s cross but the ‘goal’ was annulled for offside.

Valletta vs Ferencvaros

However, the Citizens were punished two minutes later when they lost possession cheaply in midfield and Tokma Nguen sped clear and hit a fine long-range strike that gave no chance to Valletta goalkeeper Henry Bonello.

On 67 minutes it was Bonello who denied Ferencvaros from taking the lead when the Valletta no.1 dived full stretch to keep out Civiz’s downward header.

From the resultant corner, it was again the City custodian who somehow kept out Lanzafame’s close range shot.

Valletta were now clearly on the ropes as they were increasingly struggling to keep the pace with their opponents’ fitness.

Nineteen minutes from time, the visitors again were off to a fast raid with Lanzafame hitting a firm drive that was turned to a corner by Bonello with the aid of the upright.

It was all Ferencvaros now with substitute Nikolai Signevich, who replaced Lanzafame, almost left an immediate impact when breaking through from the right but his shot was again repelled by Bonello.

Valletta finally threatened eight minutes from time with a Messias’ long-range shot that was easily saved by Dibusz.

Messias came even closer to at least give Valletta victory two minutes from time when he took charge of a central free-kick and his inswinger was somehow turned over by the Ferencvaros goalkeeper with the aid of the crossbar.

That was the last chance of the match as Ferencvaros easily administered the final minutes to secure a deserved qualification.


VALLETTA 1 Ferencvaros 1
Second qualifying round second leg

Valletta vs Ferencvaros

VALLETTA: H. Bonello, R. Camilleri, S. Dimech (K. Nwoko), J. Borg, E. Pena Beltre, J. Zerafa, M. Fontanella, K. Tulimieri, M. Piciollo (R. Tonna), R. Muscat (A. Monticelli), Y. Messias.

FERENCVAROS: D. Dibusz, D. Ihnatenko (D. Siger), G. Lovrencsics, D. Lanzafame (N. Sihnevich), O. Zubkov, I. Kharatin, E. Civic, M. Blazic, L. Dvali, M. Skvarka, T. Nguen (R. Varga)

Yellow cards: R. Muscat, E. Pena Beltre (V), D. Lanzafame, D. Ihnatenko (F)

Scorers: 26′ M. Fontanella (Pen), 59′ T. Nguen (F)

Referee: J. Lardot  (Bel)

Date: 30.07.2019

Competition: Champions League

Venue: Centenary Stadium