Thank You To Our Sponsors
Di Mattia
5 Beans
The Proclinic
Browns Pharmacy

The Official Website of Valletta Football Club

Our Next Game

Valletta FC

National Stadium

14 April 2024
at 4:15 pm


2012-2013 Valletta vs FC Lusitans

Valletta vs FC Lusitans

Valletta set a new record for the highest victory ever achieved by a Maltese team in European competitions as they trounced Andorra’s FC Lusitans 8-0 in the first leg of their Champions League first qualifying round match the Hibs Stadium this evening.

The scoreline says all about Valletta’s dominance as the Maltese champions blew their dismal opponents apart, racing into a five-goal lead inside the opening 22 minutes.

Michael Mifsud scored four goals as Valletta effectively booked a second qualifying round match against Serbian champions Partizan Belgrade.

Valletta showed their attacking intentions from the start as they took the lead after just three minutes. Jonathan Caruana, deployed in front of defence in Valletta’s 4-1-2-3 formation, headed home from Jhonnattann’s cross.

The Whites should have doubled their lead two minutes but Jhonnattan’s goalbound effort was cleared by a defender after Mifsud had dispossessed FC Lusitans goalkeeper Andres Benitez.

The Citizens soon made it 2-0 thanks to Mifsud who scored with a downward header from Jhonnattann’s excellent cross.

The floodgates were now open as Valletta continued to attack their woeful opponents who couldn’t get to grips with the fast breaks of the City midfielders and forward.

The score became 3-0 on 16 minutes when William Barbosa released Denni whose diagonal shot was pushed away by Benitez but Jhonnattann was on hand to slot the ball home from the rebound. Two minutes later, Mifsud, running on to another through-ball from Barbosa, sped into the box, rounded Benitez and drove home to give Valletta a 4-0 advantage.

It was not before the 22nd minute that Lusitans registered their first attempt at goal, Dutch goalkeeper Andre Krul easily saving Lionel Maciel’s central effort.

But the superior Citizens continued to run the show, scoring their fifth goal on 22 minutes. Benitez rushed out of goal to try and clear a cross but Caruana’s pressure unsettled the overweight Lusitans goalkeeper whose half-clearance fell in the path of Jhonnattann. The Brazilian took a touch before curling the ball into the empty net.

Valletta vs FC Lusitans

Valletta stayed on the attack. On 25 minutes, Mifsud advanced on the right before passing to Roderick Briffa whose first-time grounder ended wide of the far post.

Two minutes past the half-hour, Krul saved a harmless free-kick from Luis Reis.

On the stroke of half-time, Valletta went 6-0 up, Mifsud completed his hat-trick with a low striker after getting on the end of Briffa’s assist.

Three minutes into the second half, Krul did well to puncg away Raposo’s piledriver. In a fast City counter-attack, Denni moved clwar on the left before passing to Mifsud who in turn served Jhonnattann but the latter’s drive was off target.

The woodwork saved Lusitans as Denni’s drive came off the upright after the Brazilian had been released by Mifsud.

Mifsud scored his fourth and Valletta’s seventh on 70 minutes, finishing off a solo run with a simple finish after he rounded Benitez.

Two minutes later, Edmond Agius, who had replaced Jhonnattann, beat Benitez with a curling drive after being set up by Briffa.

With 11 minutes remaining, FC Lusitans’ Luis Reis went close to a consolation goal with a free-kick that sailed just wide of the near post.

Mifsud went close with a long-range lob before a delicate chip by the advancing Denni came off the crossbar.

Source: Times of Malta

Valletta vs FC Lusitans

VALLETTA 8 FC Lusitans 0
First qualifying round, 1st leg

VALLETTA – A. Krul, D. Dos Santos, J. Da Silva, J. Caruana, I. Azzopardi (D.Falzon), S. Borg, W. Barbosa, R. Briffa, R. Da Rocha Filo (R.Fenech), M. Mifsud, J. Benites Da Conceicao (E.Agius).

FC LUSITANS – A. Benitez, Y. Fontan, H. Veloso (F. Goncalves), L. Maciel Antunes (E. Meza), F. Soares (L. Reis), R. Amaral, L. Pinto, V. Nunes Fernandes, S. Bertran, B. Raposo, P. Reis.

Referee: Johnny Casanova (San Marino)

Scorers: 4′ Jonathan Caruana, 10′, 18′, 46′, 70′ Michael Mifsud, 17′ , 22′ Johnnattan, 72′ Edmond Agius.

Yellow Cards: Veloso, Maciel

Competition: UEFA Champions League 1st leg

Date: 03-07-12

Venue: Hibs Ground

2012-2013 Valletta vs FK Partizan

Valletta vs FK Partizan

Valletta’s hopes of reaching the next stage of the Champions League were dashed this evening as the Citizens crashed to a 4-1 defeat to FK Partizan in the first leg of their second qualifying round match at the Hibs Stadium.

Making their first appearance in this season’s top European competition, Partizan proved too strong for Valletta, translating their early superiority into three first-half goals which all but sealed their win.

While Partizan had good cause to be delighted with their performance, they were shamed by the irresponsible behaviour of some of their supporters who tried to force their way into the stadium from a nearby field after failing to obtain tickets for the match.

Their brief attempts to enter the stadium caused a commotion in the first half as two of them managed to get in but the police intervened to restore order. Unconfirmed reports claim that around 12 Partizan supporters have been arrested.

On the field, Partizan gained the initiative from the initial whistle, taking the lead after just five minutes. Nemanja Tomic surprised Valletta goalkeeper Andre Krul with a dipping effort from an angled position to send the Partizan fans seated in the VIP area into raptures.

The erstwhile subdued Valletta threatened to equalise in an isolated counter-attack. A long clearance from the back landed at the feet of Michael Mifsud who advanced but two Partizan defenders intervened to clear the ball away for a corner.

Partizan remained in control. They came close to a second goal when Stefan Scepovic burst clear on the right before playing a precise cross to Lazar Markovic whose first-time flick was blocked by Krul. The loose ball fell to Babovic but his half-volley rolled wide of the near post.

As Partizan’s initial pressure fizzled out, Valletta came more into the picture. They protested for a penalty when  Ryan Fenech’s shot appeared to come off Sasa Markovic’s arm but Israeli referee Liran Liany saw nothing wrong.

On 25 minutes, Scepovic blocked a clearance by Jonathan Caruana and ran into the box from the left but his angled shot ended wide.

Moments later, the match was halted for a few minutes as two Partizan fans, holding a large banner, made their way into the stadium after jumping a perimeter wall. The two fans walked across the warm-up pitch before being apprehended by the police.

More ticketless Partizan supporters tried to enter the stadium after forcing open an iron gate but the police managed to push them back.

When the game resumed, Partizan doubled their lead, Ivan Ivanov heading Babovic’s right-hand corner into the net.

Three minutes from half-time, Partizan went 3-0 up. The impressive Babovic strode into the box from the left before passing to Scepovic who fired past Krul.

At the start of the second half, Miller introduced newly-signed Brazilian midfielder Joao Gabriel Da Silva for Ian Azzopardi.

Valletta vs FK Partizan

Valletta pressed forward after the change of ends. They should have reduced the deficit when Briffa passed to Denni who cut inside from the right but his grounder was deflected away for a corner.

Da Silva’s introduction bolstered Valletta’s midfield.

Briffa’s diagonal pass sent Denni clear on the left as the Brazilian sped into the box before sending in a low cross towards Da Silva who blasted over.

At the other end, Babovic shot wide but on 65 minutes, Valletta got one back. The improving Denni supplied a through-ball to Mifsud who beat the offside trap before prodding past Vladimir Stojkovic, the Partizan goalkeeper.

Miller brought on Jhonnattann, another forward, for Fenech but any hopes Valletta may have had of reviving the tie vanished when Partizan went 4-1 up.  Milos Ostojic nipped in to head Babovic’s free-kick past Krul.

Babovic was wide with another fierce shot before Partizan substitute Mohamed Zubya lofted the ball over the ball after being released by Sasa Ilic.

Source – Times of Malta

Valletta vs FK Partizan

VALLETTA 1 FK Partizan 4
Second qualifying round, 2nd leg

VALLETTA – A. Krul, D. Dos Santos, J. Caruana, I. Azzopardi (Gabriel), D.Falzon, S. Borg (E. Agius),  W. Barbosa,  R. Briffa, R. Da Rocha Filo, R.Fenech (Johnnattan), M. Mifsud.

FK PARTIZAN  – V. Stojkovic, V. Volkov, N. Tomic (M. Zubya), G. Lovre (S. Ilic), S. Scepovic, N. Aksentijevic, I. Ivanov, S. Markovic, S. Babovic, M. Ostojic, L. Markovic (N. Nikovic).

Competition: UEFA Champions League 2nd Round 1st leg

Date: 17-07-12

Venue: Hibs Ground

Scorers:  6′ N. Tomic, 33′ I. Ivanov, 42′ S. Scepovic, 71′ M. Ostojic (P) 65′ Michael Mifsud (V)

Yellow Cards: D. Dos Santos, R. Fenech, R. Rocha, S. Babovic.

Referee: Liran Liany (Israel)